Six Senses Laamu, Maldives
Written by Antoní Loza
Deep in the Indian Ocean, surrounded by innumerable shades of blue, Six Senses Laamu is a paradise for couples and families alike.
Located in the southern half of the Maldives, and requiring a picturesque sea-plane flight, followed by a quick speedboat ride to pristine Laamu Atoll, sits one of the best, most secluded resorts in all of the Maldives.
It’s on the boat ride that you will officially step into the legendary Six Senses vibe: after a refreshing welcome drink, cotton bags are handed to you by the friendly staff and you are encouraged to put your shoes away. After this point, barefoot is the way to go and the next time your feet will be in a pair of moccasins or sandals will likely be on the bittersweet day when you board the plane back to ‘civilisation’ – wherever that is.
All 97 beachfront and water villas are styled in naturalistic luxury and crafted from local, sustainable materials. The accommodation offers complete seclusion, multiple decks for leisure, and stunning outdoor bathing facilities with endless views of the ocean and lush Maldivian vegetation. Most importantly, each villa comes equipped with a telephone and direct line to your GEM (Guest Experience Maker – a 24-hour personal butler).
Upon arrival you will be greeted by your GEM, whose sole existence is to ensure your complete satisfaction. Your GEM has a way of always knowing where you are even if you don’t call on them and will discreetly materialise like magic in order to assist, whether it is to book your private dinner on the beach, arrange for your scuba-diving excursion, schedule your massage treatment at the world-class Six Senses Spa, or ensure that a babysitter is available daily in order to give you a few hours of deserved tranquillity and relaxation. Your GEM can even shine your shoes – but why would they? You won’t be wearing any for a while.
- Airport arrival meet-and-greet
- Speed-boat transfer
- 24-hour Guest Experience Maker (GEM) butler service
- 24-hour on-site doctor and well-stocked medical clinic
- Multilingual hosts
- Complimentary homemade ice cream
- Six Senses Spa with fitness centre
- The Den, complimentary club for younger guests from three to 11 years old, also offers babysitting service with a charge
- Experiences department: provides a wide range of activities within the resort, and excursions to local or uninhabited islands surrounding the island
- Water sports and diving centre
Distance: 3,351 km
Flight Time: 4 hours, 35 minutes
Frequency: 2 flights a day