fine food - Chef Mattias Roock
Written by Oryx
Mattias Roock is the new Executive Chef of Marsa Malaz Kempinski, The Pearl – Doha.
In his new role, Mattias is responsible for all the restaurants in Qatar’s new ultra-luxury hotel, but has a special interest in elevating the cuisine in his signature restaurant Sawa, the all-day dining restaurant.
Born into a family of chefs and with a career spanning over a decade, Mattias has worked with culinary heavyweights, including as a Chef de Partie at the Michelin star-awarded former Gordon Ramsay at Claridge’s, London, and Alain Ducasse New York. Mattias was the youngest Master Chef in Germany at the age of 24, the youngest Executive Chef in Kempinski at the age of 28, and the youngest Executive Chef who has worked on three different continents at the age of 34.
Prior to his arrival in Qatar, Mattias was the Executive Chef at the Grand Kempinski Hotel Shanghai, and before that the Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains, St Moritz, achieving one Michelin star for Cà d’Oro, its gourmet restaurant serving fine Mediterranean cuisine.
“My style of leading is to motivate people, get them to start thinking independently, and support them to create their own ideas,” says Roock. “For me as an Executive Chef, the best feeling is when I give somebody a task and they exceed my expectations; my expectations are high!
“At the end of the day, I am not cooking alone. There are 100 people behind me, so it makes a huge difference if somebody is motivated and puts their passion into their cooking; the customer can feel and taste it on their plate.”
Oriental Lamb Salad
Preparing the baba ghanoush:
- Grill the aubergine either on the charcoal or using the gas heads.
- Place the aubergine in a container with ice to cool it down and to keep its inner side white.
- Peel the aubergine under running cold water, then put in a strainer.
- Chop the aubergine and keep it to one side.
- Clean the mint and pick the leaves, then save the tips for garnish.
- Peel the garlic and mash it with the salt.
- Squeeze the lemon, strain it and set it aside.
- Peel the pomegranate and keep the seeds for garnish.
- Chop finely the following: tomato, parsley, spring onion, mint leaves and green pepper; then season it with lemon juice, mashed garlic and salt. After this, add olive oil and mix altogether with the aubergine until fully tossed.
Preparing the lamb:
- Infuse the olive oil with the herbs and spices and vacuum bag it with the seasoned lamb shoulder.
- Confit it for around 36 hours at a temperature of 70°C.
- After this time, take it out and pick it into small pieces.
- Roast the chopped pistachio in a pan, add the lamb mixture and marinate it with vinaigrette. Reserve a little for plating.
- Then, add the chopped parsley.
- Place three spoons of the baba ghanoush in a ring cutter and top it with a generous portion of lamb mixture.
- Mix a few rocket and frisée leaves together and marinate with the vinaigrette used for the lamb mixture.
- Shape it to a small ‘ball’ and place it on top of the lamb.
- Sprinkle the salad with the croutons and the pomegranate seeds.