fine food - Mustapha Haj Omar
Written by Oryx
As Executive Sous Chef of Oriental and Mediterranean cuisine at Metzo’s restaurant in the Outrigger Laguna Phuket Beach Resort, Thailand, Mustapha Haj Omar brings expertise and passion from a long line of restaurateurs.
Mustapha has an impressive track record that has seen him cook for royalty in the Gulf region, host his own cooking shows on Bahraini television, and deliver private culinary events for discerning guests across Asia.
Before joining Outrigger, Mustapha was Head Chef at the One&Only Reethi Rah Resort and Spa in the Maldives, a regular host to royalty, celebrities, and VIPs. Mustapha has also led Lebanese and Mediterranean kitchens at Mon Liban, Luxembourg; the Shangri-La Villingili, Maldives; the Sheraton Bahrain Hotel; and Le Meridien Dubai, among many others over the last 18 years.
At Metzo’s in Phuket, Mustapha is now implementing his range of signature dishes, including Samakeh Harra.
- Marinate the fish fillet with cumin, coriander, paprika, white pepper, sweet chilli paste, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil. Keep refrigerated for one hour.
- Sear the fish fillet in a hot pan, then continue to cook on a medium flame. Keep to one side.
- Slice the peppers, onion, tomatoes, garlic, and chilli into thin slices (julienne).
- Chop the parsley leaves and coriander.
- Blend the peeled tomatoes into a purée.
- Heat 15ml olive oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the sliced onion and garlic, and cook for three minutes until ingredients begin to soften; add the spices and cook for a further minute. Add the remaining vegetables to the pan; pour in the stock and tomato purée and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender; add salt and check for seasoning. The Harra sauce is now ready.
- Place the carrots, mushrooms, cauliflower, and baby corn into boiling water and boil for three minutes. Then sauté them in a heated pan with olive oil. Add salt and pepper and sauté for a further two to three minutes.
- Place the sautéed vegetables onto a serving plate, then plate the cooked fish. Pour the Harra sauce on top of the cooked fish.
- Scatter the chopped parsley on top with a drizzle of olive oil, and serve with lemon wedges.
- Accompany with potato wedges.