Written by Oryx
Suitcases are fairly simple products; the right carry-on luggage should last you for years. There is no one-size-fits-all, but here are our top tips for the short-stay business traveller.
Choosing your business luggage
- Four-wheeled ‘spinners’ are easier to manoeuvre, while two-wheeled cases are better over any rougher ground. Four wheels add weight, reduce internal volume, and can break off. Two-wheeled cases tend to have larger wheels with sealed bearings, meaning dirt can’t get inside the wheels.
- Choose a case that has an internal suit compartment, such as the TUMI Arrivé, or Samsonite Silhouette Sphere, which has a removable trifold suiter.
- Too many souvenirs to bring back? Most expandables have wraparound zips, but these can break under pressure. The Briggs & Riley Baseline has internal brackets that expand when you pack, and compress to minimise your load.
- Soft-sided luggage tends to be lighter, yet technology like Rimowa’s Salsa Air 22 weighs just 1.9kg. Hard shells tend to get more noticeable scratches and are less flexible when over-packed.
- Too many pockets, and you’ll keep misplacing items. Be careful not to over-pack external pockets, as that laptop might tip the whole bag over.
The essentials for your carry-on luggage
Here’s the top-10 carry-on list for the global galloper.
- Passport – over 50% of people have no idea when their passports expire
- Wallet, cash, or credit cards
- Itinerary with flight details – print this out, as if your phone is out of battery it could cause problems
- Eye drops
- Lip balm
- Daily medications and vitamins
- Flight socks and one change of clothes
Maximum hand-baggage dimensions are 50 x 37 x 25cm (20 x 15 x 10in).
TUMI x Chictopia
Designed by Chinese designer Christine Lau, and inspired by circus owner and inventor Philip Astley, the range is noted for its bold colours and prints. Exclusive to Lane Crawford China and Hong Kong, alongside TUMI stores in China, Hong Kong, and Macau.
The Voyage edition celebrates the 10-year anniversary of its Liberty-print-lining limited editions. The iconic Hera peacock feather print is complemented with rich burgundy leather trim and brass hardware. The sizes range from the 9in Mini Utility to the 33in Extra Deep suitcase with wheels.
The updated Cosmolite achieves great lightness, with its shell-like ridges that are created from impact-resistant material to provide unrivalled strength and lasting durability. TSA combination lock, four multi-directional smooth and silent wheels, protected zips, and lightweight monotube pull-handle with push button. Available in six different colours.
The limited-edition TecknoMonster Kasor range is protected by dark grey carbon fibre shells, inspired by aviation and aerospace technology. Customised indestructible bullet-proof panels can be added to ensure the cases are ‘totally unassailable’. Exclusively available at Harrods, the range comprises a set of three four-wheel trolley cases, with luxury quilted leather interior linings in black and orange, and a cabin case.
Rimowa Topas Stealth has all the great features and functions of the Topas Aluminium but with a sleek black finish. To create a unique look, each aluminium case has undergone an exclusive anodising treatment. Spacious inside, each piece will chronicle your journeys in every beautiful nick and scratch that it accumulates.