According to an analysis by healthcare start-up Maven and Great Place to Work, 9.8 million working moms report experiencing symptoms of burnout. But if we’re being honest, we don’t need statistics and research to tell us this fact; everywhere we look, we can find mothers who are juggling so many things at the same time—taking care of their kids and partners, fulfilling their responsibilities at work, and managing the household. Sometimes it feels like moms can’t take time for themselves and do something as mundane as shopping for clothes.
If you are a busy mom who has no time to flip through fashion magazines for inspiration but needs a wardrobe filled with clothes that will allow you to move while still feeling and looking good, here are some tips for creating a stylish but comfortable wardrobe you can rely on during hustling days.
Invest in reliable basics
One of the best things you can do for yourself as a busy working mother is this: Create a capsule wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe is essentially a set of clothes and pieces that are stylish yet durable, long-lasting, and timeless, which you can then mix and match with everything else you own. They need to be elegant enough to stand the test of time and ever-evolving trends, but they also need to be made of materials that won’t give in after a few uses. Here are some examples of pieces you need in your capsule wardrobe:
- Heavy outerwear like a trench coat or a heavier coat, especially if you live in a state that gets cool during autumn and winter
- Jackets of different kinds, like a leather jacket, motorcycle jacket, or a trusty blazer for work
- Well-fitting button-up shirts in neutral colors
- A perfectly-tailored pantsuit
- Good-fitting T-shirts
- Perfect pair of denim jeans
- Calvin Klein underwear from an online shop, so you can browse through all the brand’s collections
- As for shoes, make sure you have at least one pair of flats, one pair of stilettos, and a trusty pair of sneakers
Once you have these essentials, you now have free reins to mix and match as you please. One of the safest routes you can take is choosing a neutral yet trendy color palette for these pieces so that you won’t have to worry about colors clashing and not pairing well.
Play with accessories
If you don’t have a small baby or toddler that will not be pulling at your earrings or necklace every five minutes, now is a good time to explore some jewelry. It’s the simplest and easiest way to bring your outfit from zero to hero. For example, a little black dress instantly gets elevated with a simple pair of hoops, and a statement necklace can be enough to make your T-shirt-and-blazer combo look even more presentable. With the right accessories, you can instantly complete a smile yet comfortable get-up.
Explore nursing dresses and covers
Who says you need to look drab even while nursing your baby? One of the most wonderful designs made for women in recent years is dresses and covers specifically designed for nursing mothers to be comfortable, wherever they may be. These pieces are stylish, too—so you can be assured that you can still express your unique personality and style through the fabric, colors, and patterns.
Here are some additional pointers for creating a stylish but comfortable wardrobe:
- Opt for fabrics that will allow you to move comfortably, like soft and more breathable pieces.
- This advice is not just for moms, but for everyone: With the world dealing with a climate emergency, we will all benefit from a wardrobe that is more quality than quantity.
- Invest in a nice wrap or cardigan. It’s a convenient way to instantly elevate whatever you’re wearing, especially if you need to immediately attend a Zoom call or go to the store.
- Just because you’re going for comfort doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice your own style. There are loungewear pieces available in just about any color palette you can think of: From neutral to bold and even those with prints.
Motherhood is truly fun and fulfilling, but it can also be stressful, often pushing us to neglect ourselves and our style. But it doesn’t have to be one or the other; we can be good and dutiful moms while still looking the best we can be. Don’t hesitate to explore and permit yourself to feel good about your clothes. You are worth it!