Electrical problems at home can be very stressful, especially if you do not know what to do. Residents and business owners in Salt Lake City can rely on many qualified electrical contractors to help resolve the problems. It never hurts, however, to have basic knowledge of the reasons behind your electrical problem.
While you may be unable to troubleshoot them, knowing what’s going on can make it easier for you when you do get professional help. It allows you to explain the situation clearly during the call and your contractor can get a clear idea of what to do, what to expect, and what tools and parts they need to bring. Having an idea about what may be causing your electrical problems can also give you some peace of mind, especially if the situation is not as bad (or as expensive) as you think it is, so you do not need to needlessly panic.
Here are three of the most common electrical problems and their causes.
Electrical Surges and Power Sags
There are many reasons an electrical surge happens, from lines being damaged or struck by lightning to bad electrical wiring and damaged appliances. An actual surge lasts only a microsecond, but when it happens frequently, it can damage your home’s electrical components. It can also damage your appliances. When this happens, you might want to check on the electrical devices connected to your home grid. The culprit may be the wiring itself, so if unplugging devices and appliances that are faulty does not prevent the surges, it may be time to consult with a professional.
Similarly, sags and dips in your power supply are caused by faulty devices that are connected to your power grid. Another reason could be appliances made with substandard materials, so they use up a lot of power when they are in use.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
A circuit breaker is designed to protect your home and everyone in it, so when it trips, it’s a sign that it’s working. Devices that use up a high wattage, such as microwaves and hairdryers, can trip circuit breakers. The risk gets higher when they are used together with other power-consuming items in the same source. If you want to lessen the frequency of trips, you might want to observe what devices were being used at the time of the incident and consider using the lowest setting. Limiting the electrical usage on a single circuit while the device is being used can also do the trick.
Another cause might be the overloading of powerboards. Avoiding daisy-chaining of power boards and unplugging any devices that are not in use help prevent this problem. You also need to make sure not to overburden a single circuit and be mindful of what’s being used at the same time.
An electrical shock is a reminder that electricity is dangerous when not properly used, and may happen when you turn a device on or off. It could be caused by a faulty appliance or faulty wiring. When this happens, it is best that you speak with a technician at once rather than testing another appliance to see if you get the same results, so you don’t risk getting another electrical shock.